Alex Thomason is the founder of Thomason Justice, PS, where his practice emphasizes litigation in the commercial, construction, real property, and probate contexts. His practice routinely encompasses first and third party insurance personal injury and property claims.
Alex is a non-conventional lawyer who specializes in emergent tactics and litigation techniques. He is not the kind of lawyer who merely throws paper at the problem. Whether the case is a five or nine figure dispute, Alex is above all practical and a “straight shooter,” a trait he learned running his family’s apple farm.
His reputation and litigation successes have earned him appointments as Special Counsel to a United States Chapter 7 Bankruptcy Trustee where he pursued personal liability against corporate wrongdoers for alter ego/veil piercing, corporate officer disregard, and fraudulent conveyances. Alex spent years on the commercial litigation team at the Seattle law firm, Ashbaugh Beal, and he previously worked as Special Deputy for the King County Prosecutor where he was awarded the Innovative Employee Award for his achievements in the re-trial of defendants affected by the felony homicide ruling, In re Andress.
Repeatedly named as a Rising Star with Super Lawyers® Magazine and an AVVO-rated "Superb" lawyer, Alex lectures nationally to lawyers and judges on a variety of legal issues, including pre and post-judgment remedies.
Alex has appeared on MSNBC, ABC, NBC, CBS, FOX, CNN, HLN, CNBC, Good Morning America, King 5 News, KOMO News, and has been featured in the Economist, People, the UK Daily, and the ABA Journal. His varied professional toolbox includes: The Apprentice (final four on Donald Trump's competition show), farmer (apple), CEO (media), COO (internet / real estate), prosecutor (King County), archeologist (Israel), world-ranked skier (alpine), and helicopter pilot (turbine).
Alex studied archeology and rabbinic literature in Israel, earned a B.A. from Seattle Pacific University in Theology with a minor in Latin, and a J.D. from Seattle University School of Law where he was the graduation speaker.
Thomason Justice, PS | Brewster and Seattle, WA, Aug. 2012—PresentLitigation:
- First Party Insurance
- Personal Injury/ Wrongful Death
- Real Estate
- Trusts and Estates (TEDRA)
- Entity Maintenance
- General Counsel for Closely Held Businesses
- Equipment Leases
- Negotiating Contracts
- Purchase and Sale of Businesses
- Limited Liability Companies
- General Partnerships
- Limited Partnerships
- Sole Proprietorships
- Purchase and Sale
Ashbaugh Beal, LLP | Seattle, WA, Mar. 2006—July 2012
Business, Commercial, and Construction Litigation
- Special emphasis on business collection, prejudgment remedies, alter ego, corporate disregard, and Uniform Fraudulent Transfer Act. Practice philosophy is directed at uncovering the proper strategic leverage that compels or encourages compliance and resolution.
- Special Counsel to United States Chapter 7 Bankruptcy Trustee and currently pursuing claims against corporate and individual debtors for fraudulent transfers.
- Areas of practice generally include commercial, real property, construction, bankruptcy adversary proceedings and contract disputes.
- Direct all phases of litigation, from client meeting to strategy development, mediation, settlement, and final execution procedures.
- Draft pleadings for all phases of litigation including complaints, answers and defenses, counter and cross claims, oppositions and replies, motions to remove, consolidate, amend, disqualify, disgorge fees, contempt, sanctions, show cause, compel, attorneys’ fees, vacate, summary judgment, appeal, injunction, etc.
- Independently manage all phases of discovery, including depositions, interrogatories, RFAs and RFPs, answers, objections, conferences, motions, subpoenas on commission, FOIA requests and the like.
King County Prosecuting Attorney’s Office | Seattle, WA, Jan. 2005—Mar. 2006
Special Deputy Assistant Prosecutor, Criminal Division
- Prosecuted misdemeanor jury trials, bench trials, and co-chaired felony murder trials; managed cases from arraignment to sentencing, including Superior and District Court motions calendars, bail hearings, felony plea hearings, in-custody motions, and sentencing & arraignment calendars.
- Assisted in trial and trial prep for re-prosecution of defendants affected by In re Andress, which overturned felony murder convictions predicated on assault.
- Tracked and located over 175 witnesses in cases up to 30 years old, residing in 18 U.S States & Mexico; directed all out-of-state witness subpoenas.
- Taught two WSBA accredited CLEs for King County Prosecutors, and wrote guide for prosecutors and paralegals detailing witness tracking and location techniques.
- Databases: JIS, SCOMIS, FORS, OAC, JILS, IVIPS, Accurint, Securint.
“The Apprentice 3” NBC, Donald Trump | New York, NY, Fall 2004
“Final Four” Candidate
- Selected to compete for a job with Donald Trump out of more than 1 million interviewees; given 14 business-related tasks and access to limited resources in changing, fast-paced environments. Finished in the final four.
US Apple Association | Washington, D.C., Jan. - June 2001
- Coordinated USDA’s purchase of apples for inclusion in humanitarian food aid programs by resolving technical concerns in shipping logistics, protocols and export standards.
Maverick Orchards, Inc. | Brewster, WA Spring-Fall, 1989-99
- Supervisor, interpreter, mechanic, welder, surveyor, heavy equipment operator.
- Thomason Law & Justice, KOZI, Weekly Radio Show
- “DNR Investigations,” KREM2, October 21, 2014
- “Tort Claims Against DNR,” King5, October 17, 2014
- “DNR Liability” NBC Montana, September 8, 2014
- “Collections,” National Business Institute, October 18, 2011
- “Property Execution,” King 5 News; June 2, 2011
- “Arbitration Provisions,” Ashbaugh Beal Construction Seminar; October 27, 2010
- “Keeping Litigation On The Plus Side Of Your Balance Sheet,” WSBA CLE; 2009
- “Andress & Felony Murder,” Summer Criminal Law, SU School of Law; 2005
- “Locating Key Witnesses,” King County Prosecutor’s Office, WSBA CLE; 2005
- “Business Interview Techniques,” University of Washington; 2006-07
- “Senior Salute,” & “Alumni College Weekend,” Seattle Pacific University; 2005-07
- “Boardroom Deals,” Puget Sound Federalist Society, SU Law School; 2005
AWARDS & HONORS
- Rising Star Award (Top 2.5% in WA) Super Lawyer Mag, 2010, 2012, 2013, 2014
- “Superb 10.0” AVVO attorney rating 2010-14
- Pro Bono Publico Service Award, WSBA; 2007-14
- Innovative Employee Award, King County Prosecutor’s Office; 2006
- Alumni Board/Young Alumni Counsel Pres., Seattle Pacific University; 2006-08
- Donald Trump’s TV show, "The Apprentice" Season 3, finished in the Final Four, 2005
- Liberty Fund Colloquium Conferee, Savannah, GA; 2006
- SU Law Editorial Nomination for A.B.A/Law Student Div. Writing Comp; 2003
- National Collegiate Media Competition Award; 2000
- U.S. Ski Team Outstanding Achievement Award; 1993